Hazaribagh, often referred to as the “Place of a Thousand Gardens,” is a breathtaking destination filled with lakes, rivers, mountains, waterfalls, forests, and wildlife sanctuaries. Among its many natural wonders, Canary Hill, locally known as Kanhari Pahad, stands out as a picturesque mountain paradise. This verdant oasis is located just approximately 3 kilometers from Hazaribagh’s bustling town center.
An Enchanting Landscape
Nestled in Hazaribagh, Jharkhand, India, Canary Hill captivates visitors with its serene lakes and lush green forests. At an elevation of around 2019 feet above sea level, this hill offers a tranquil escape from the everyday hustle and bustle. To reach the summit, you’ll ascend approximately 600 staircases.(Canary Hill Hazaribagh)
Canary Mountains: The Jewel of Hazaribagh
Hazaribagh is blessed with several hills, but the Canary Mountains stand out as the crowning jewel. These mountains boast three serene lakes that enhance their allure, creating four breathtaking moons in its scenic splendor. Perched on one of these peaks is a magnificent building that has become a must-visit spot for tourists.
Hazaribagh’s Silver Screen Charmer
Hazaribagh owes its name to its stunning natural beauty. “Hazar” means a thousand, and “Bagh” means garden, perfectly encapsulating this town’s charm. It’s no wonder that many Bengali, Bhojpuri, and Hindi films have chosen Hazaribagh as their backdrop. In 1972, the famous film “Grahan,” directed by Subhas Ghai, was shot amidst the town’s scenic splendor.
Exploring Canary Hill
- Observatory Center: At the hill’s summit, an observatory center awaits, offering breathtaking panoramic views of the surrounding nature.
- Capture Memorable Photos: The observatory provides the perfect vantage point for unforgettable photographs.
- Picnic Paradise: Canary Hill is an ideal spot for a day out with family and friends, complete with a guest house for weekend stays.
- Pack Your Picnic: Feel free to bring your favorite picnic treats; there are no restrictions on edible items.
How to Reach Canary Hill
- By Airways: The nearest airport is Birsa Munda Airport in Ranchi, located just 90 kilometers from Hazaribagh. It’s well-connected to major cities like Bengaluru, Mumbai, Patna, Delhi, Kolkata, and Hyderabad.
- By Railways: The nearest railway station is Hazaribagh Town, approximately 20 kilometers away. Hazaribagh Town is well-connected to major railway lines, while Koderma Junction and Barkakana Junction are alternative options.
- By Roadways: Hazaribagh boasts excellent road connectivity, making it easily accessible from major cities and states.
Entry Ticket and Timing
Entrance to Canary Hill is completely free, with no charges for entry or parking. You can visit from 5:00 AM in the morning until 6:30 PM in the evening. Nighttime stays are not recommended due to the surrounding dense forest, where wild animals may appear. The best time to visit this natural haven is during the winter months.
Best Time to Visit Canary Hill
Hazaribagh’s climate is consistently cool, pleasant, and filled with fresh air. Summers extend from April to July, with maximum temperatures around 35°C. Winter, from August to March, features a maximum temperature of 22°C. The monsoon season varies based on climatic conditions.
Canary Hill is a sought-after picnic spot, offering a refreshing escape from the bustle of metropolitan life. Remember to visit in groups and stay safe. The hill is just approximately 5 kilometres from Hazaribagh city, where numerous hotels and lodges offer affordable accommodations.
A Year-Round Picnic Paradise
Canary Hill isn’t just a fair-weather attraction. It’s a beautiful picnic spot that welcomes visitors in every season. The surrounding forest adds to its charm, and if you’re lucky, you might even catch a glimpse of some of the region’s wildlife during the night-time
The Promise of a New Lake
Excitingly, plans are underway to construct a new lake beneath the hill, promising even more natural beauty and recreational opportunities for those who visit.